Many people are cautious about getting granite countertops because they hear they have more upkeep than quartz countertops or other options. This is sometimes true, but is not always the case. Granite countertops are more porous than quartz countertops, but not all granites are created equal. Perform a simple water test to see if your granite countertops need to be sealed:
- Pour a bit of water on the counter. 1/4 cup should be enough.
- Note the time that you placed the water on the counter and time the water to see how long it takes to absorb (the granite will darken).
- Now use this chart to determine how often (if at all!) you need to seal your granite countertop:
- Immediate absorption: Apply a couple layers of sealer annually and wipe spills quickly.
- 4-5 minutes: Multiple layers of sealer needed, but only redo every 3-5 years. Use this water test again before reapplying.
- 10 minutes: Apply a single layer of sealer; may be many years before reapplication is needed.
- 30 minutes (or doesn’t absorb): No need for sealer!
If you only have to seal your granite countertops once in a while and you love the look of granite, go for it! Come see us at The CSG, serving the Columbus/Worthington, Ohio area, to fall in love with granite. We are locally owned and operated and are committed to serving you!